Sunday 15 February 2009

Apparently I'm Racist

Ok. So I was talking to a friend of mine today (well for most of the day) about life etc etc. And we came to the subject of sexual relations. Oh by the way, he's white and incase you didn't know (or you're colour blind) I'm black. I asked him if he's ever slept with a black man. He said yes, he's slept with many cultures before. Good on him! He then proceeded to ask me if I've slept with white guys. I said yes. In fact, I say I've only ever slept with white guys.

Bare with me on this one. My friend then asked me why, and the honest straight forward answer, is because I don't find many black men attractive. I just haven't got a physical preference to all black men. Someway, somehow, my friend decided that I was racist.

I laughed at the comment and carried on chatting, but it has kind of disturbed me a bit and got me a little angry. It's not the first time I've heard someone say it to me either. In fact some people have said to me that I'm not racist, I'm hypocritical and not proud of my heritage.

Now, I am very proud of my heritage, but sleeping or going out with someone of my colour, does not define me as a person. I do not need to sleep with someone of my colour to prove that pride or to prove myself to anyone.

I guess I'm just writing this to get my anger out and to say how much it annoyed me once I had realised what he had said.

So, do my thoughts make me a racist? A hypocrite? A bounty? Am I not proud of my heritage and culture? Is it not just down to personal preference and personal observations?? And is the fact that I find the look of black skin against white skin oh so sexy a bad thing??!!!!

1 comment:

KAOS said...

AAARRRGHHH!!! This issue!!

Sexual preference is sexual preference. Saying you're racist/full of self-hatred is the same as calling a straight woman a misogynist for only sleeping with men.

Yes, it is. Think about it.

The simple fact of the matter is you find white men sexually attractive, and you don't find black men sexually attractive. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that - it's called preference. Anyone who has a problem with it has issues of their own and probably has a chip on their shoulder...